This trip is specifically designed to target big black marlin. And while blues, striped marlin, and yellowfin tuna will often side track us for a few hours, the hunt for 1000 pound + black marlin is why guests travel this far to fish. There is nowhere else on earth that give guests a better shot at battling it out with a “Grander” and there have been more 1000 pound marlin caught in this area than in all the other marlin fisheries in the world combined! The Mothership flexibility allows guests the ability to move about to where the bite in on, from Lizard Island and the highly productive Number 10 Ribbon Reef, down towards offshore canyons off the coast of Cairns. Mothership flexibility also ensures short runs and the ability to maximize the optimal bite times. This is heavy tackle fishing at its finest and there is no sense in even thinking about fly fishing or light tackle when targeting “Granders”.
The mornings are spent swimming, having breakfast, bait fishing, and spear fishing. At roughly 10:30am – 11:00am guests will head out to fish for the big blacks. Guests can expect to usually fish until just before dusk and then make the run back in to the anchorage for drinks and dinner in the calm waters behind the Great Barrier Reef. We primarily fish circle hooks in our baits, and single hook rigs in our lures. We practice tag and release with Billfish Foundation tags on all our fish, unless the fish is to be weighed. We carry our own IGFA certified scales for any record fishing. We only use the finest tackle and crews available to make your experience one of excellence. With many days booked already, now is the time to make that trip of a lifetime (or year, as many of our clients do fish with us every year) to experience one of the seven natural wonders of the world – the Great Barrier Reef.
BOATS AND EQUIPMENT
The Motherships range from 75 to 120 feet in length and will sleep between 4 and 10 guests each. The sport fishing boats are between 48 and 52 feet in length and are professionally outfitted and come with some of the best crews we’ve ever fished with.
Guest will fly into either Sydney or Brisbane. International flights from the Americas and Asia will generally arrive in the morning which makes catching the connecting flight to Cairns pretty easy and straight forward. From Brisbane the flight to Cairns takes about 2 hours while from Sydney, the flight is 3 hours. From Cairns, guests will take the short charter flight up to Cooktown. Once gusts arrive in Cooktown, it’s straight to the Sovereign Resort, where guests will overnight before boarding their fishing boat early the next morning. Most guests view the night at the Sovereign as an opportunity to rest and get over the effects of such a long trip. The rendezvous with the Mothership takes place in the late afternoon of the first days fishing.
Slipstream is a full service travel company that can handle a variety of services relating to your trip. For assistance, please contact us directly at 1 866 644-7703.
RATES FOR 2024
4 anglers $19,500 USD Per Person
3 anglers $25,250 USD Per Person
2 anglers $37,000 USD Per Person
- SYD - Sydney
- October through mid December
- Black marlin, blue marlin, wahoo…
- 24 rods per week guests
- Wifi: Yes
- Language: English
- Physicality: Low
- CC Payment at Facility : Yes
SEASON OF OPERATION
ARRIVAL AND DEPARTURE LOGISTICS
INCLUDED IN PRICE
- Round trip domestic airfare from Brisbane or Sydney to Cairns
- Round trip charter flight from Cairns to Cooktown
- Round trip shuttle service from the Cooktown Airport to the Sovereign Resort on arrival and departure days
- 2 nights at the Sovereign Resort (1 night before and 1 night after the fishing week) in a private room
- Breakfast at the hotel each morning
- Round trip shuttle service from the hotel to the marina
- 7 days fishing on board one of our 48-52 foot deep sea boats (depending on availability) with full spin and trolling gear.
- 7 nights accommodation on the live aboard yacht (yacht selection is based on availability and number of guests in party)
- All meals and alcohol while on board the live aboard
- 10% Australian GST
NOT INCLUDED IN PRICE
- Dinners in Cooktown when staying at the Sovereign
- Alcohol while in Cooktown
- Specialty alcohols on board the live aboard (French Champagne, Single malts, etc)
- Fly fishing gear and flies
- Gratuities for fishing boat and live aboard crews
TRAVEL DOCUMENTS REQUIRED
U.S., Canadian and EU members must have a passport valid for 3 Months beyond intended stay, along with tickets and documents for return or onward travel. A visa or Electronic Travel Authority is also required. Please Click Here - for more info on the ETA program.